Our World, Other Worlds
Test your knowledge of how Earth is different from other planets.
Answer questions like ...
- Earth's magnetic field shields us from solar wind and helps hold onto the atmosphere and water. To what do we owe this invisible protector?
- Earth isn't the only body in the solar system with rivers and lakes. Which other world has similar features?
- Earth is smack in the middle of the "habitable zone" around the sun, where temperatures are right for liquid water to exist.
- Which circumstances could end life on Earth?
- Earth and Venus are rocky planets of about the same size, but Earth's average surface temperature is about 59° F, while Venus' is 1,350° F, hot enough to melt lead or aluminum. Why the difference?